The Honourable George Johnson, O.C., M.D.
Term of Office: 11 December 1986 – 5 March 1993
Born: Winnipeg, 18 November 1920
Died: Gimli, 8 July 1995
- Educated at the University of Manitoba.
- Served in the Canadian Armed Forces 1941-45 with rank Lt. (N)RCNR; 1988 Honorary Captain (N) HMCS Chippawa.
- Practiced medicine in Gimli 1950-58 and in Winnipeg 1969-78.
- Conservative Member of the Manitoba Legislative Assembly for Gimli 1958-69.
- Minister of Health and Public Welfare 1958-61; Minister of Health 1961-63; Minister of Education 1963-68; Minister of Health and Social Development 1968-69, during which time (April 1969) Medicare was introduced.
- On the active staff of the Misericordia and Municipal Hospitals, Winnipeg 1970-78 and on the special staff of the Health Sciences Centre, Winnipeg 1971-84.
- Chief Medical Consultant, Department of Health and Community Services 1979.
- Acting Deputy Minister and Vice-Chairman, Manitoba Health Services Commission 1978-82.
- Medical Consultant to the Minister of Health and Chairman of the Standing Committee on Medical Manpower 1981-86.
- Awarded Honorary Doctor of Laws, University of Winnipeg 1992.
- Honorary Life Member: Manitoba Medical Association; Winnipeg Medical Society; Manitoba Teachers Society; Gimli Kinsmen Club; Hong Kong Veterans Association of Canada (Manitoba Branch).
- Certificant, Fellow and Life Member, College of Family Physicians of Canada.
- Member, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba (Elected Officer of Council 1974-78).
- Appointed to Order of Canada 1994.