The Honourable James Cox Aikins
Term of Office: 29 September 1882 – 1 July 1888
Born: Toronto, 30 March 1823
Died: 8 August 1904
- Educated at Victoria College, Cobourg.
- Member of the Canadian Assembly 1854-61.
- Originally a Liberal, he became a Conservative after Confederation and was appointed to the Senate in 1867.
- Secretary of State 1867-73 and 1878-80.
- Framed the Public Lands Act of 1872 and organized the Dominion Lands Bureau, directly influencing settlement in the Canadian West.
- Minister of Inland Revenue 1880-82.
- Through his efforts the CPR constructed the Pembina Branch, the first railway in Manitoba.
- Served in the Senate 1896-1904.