The Honourable Peter Michael Liba, C.M., O.M
Term of Office: 02 March 1999 – 30 June 2004
Born: Winnipeg, 10 May 1940
Died: Winnipeg, 21 June 2007
- Began career as journalist 1957 on rural Manitoba newspapers; joined The Winnipeg Tribune as staff writer 1959 and rose to City Editor 1967.
- Executive Assistant to Manitoba Liberal Leader 1968-1973.
- Associated with CanWest Group of Companies beginning 1974, as one of founding shareholders. President and CEO of CKND Television in Manitoba and SaskWest Television in Saskatchewan 1988-94. Executive Vice-President of CanWest Global Communications Corp. 1993, overseeing operations in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Chile.
- Broadcaster of the Decade Award 1994 by Western Association of Broadcasters.
- Inducted into Canadian Broadcast Hall of Fame 1998.
- Received Canadian Association of Broadcasters’ highest honour, Special Gold Ribbon Award in 1999, commemorating appointment as Lieutenant Governor and acknowledging “outstanding contribution to Canadian private broadcasting industry, his community and to Canada”.
- Director of St. Boniface General Hospital 1987 to 1999 and Chairman of Board 1992 until vice-regal appointment.
- Founding Chairman of Variety Club Telethon of Manitoba, Chairman and Director of Winnipeg Convention Centre, Director of Manitoba Heart Foundation, Canadian Council of Christians and Jews (Prairie Region), Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce and Winnipeg’s Refugee Assistance Committee.
- Elected as Trustee on Transcona-Springfield School Board.
- Appointed to Order of Canada 1984.
- Awarded Canada 125th Commemorative Medal 1992 and The Queen’s Golden Jubilee Medal 2004.
- Appointed Chancellor and first Member of Order of Manitoba 1999.
- Awarded Honorary Doctor of Laws Degrees by University of Manitoba 2001 and Brandon University 2004.