The Honourable William Johnston Tupper
Term of Office: 1 December 1934 – 1 November 1940
Born: Halifax, 29 June 1862
Died: Winnipeg, 17 December 1947
- Son of Sir Charles Tupper, Canada’s 6th Prime Minister.
- Educated at Upper Canada College and Harvard Law School.
- Served as a private in the 1885 Northwest Rebellion.
- Called to the Nova Scotia bar in 1885 and the the bar of Manitoba in 1886.
- Partner in a Winnipeg law firm with Hugh John Macdonald.
- Campaigned unsuccessfully as a Conservative candidate in the provincial elections of 1914 and 1915, finally elected to the Manitoba Legislature in 1920-22.
- Attended 2,200 public functions during first three years of office.